Thursday, June 22, 2006

Soccer, Books and the summer of Chill

Hello all or maybe just Tyler,
I received the results of my six month biopsy and I and completely cancer free. This is obviously tremendous news, but is all the more better considering that I relapsed about this time after my first transplant. I got another compression fracture in my spine so I have to wear my brace for a few more weeks? months? ... oh well. Most days I feel pretty good, but some are very hard and I sleep through most of those days. Sara and I spend most days going to appointments or trying to keep our house clean, which mostly falls on Sara because of my back, we also watch a lot of movies and are really into the Sopranos. Mostly we have just been loving spending good time together, like cuddling on the couch watching the World Cup or reading together. This is something that we have not had for literally years. It is so wonderful to just be and know that you can try to relax.
I am currently reading three books (hey I have to catch up). I am reading The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver, How Soccer Explains the World: an {unlikely} theory of globalization by Franklin Foer, and Atlas: From the Streets to the Ring: A Son's Struggle to Become a Man by Teddy Atlas. I was only reading the first two because I thought I had lost the third, which I was 2/3 done with anyway, but a magical girl at Kowalski's found it for me.
I have also gotten into baking bread, I try to make all kinds but I am mostly intrigued by sourdoughs. So, I have two sourdough starters and have made a number of breads from the first one, but I am getting ready to try the second starter which I made myself.
I am not sure what this blog is transforming into. I assume I have lost most of my audience, but maybe a few will check it now and then and I just might have something to say left hanging in cyberspace.
Love all,
JJ

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back and doing well, JJ! The baking sounds wonderful. I read your blog every day no matter how long it has been since you posted last.

Love,
Erica

Tracy said...

I stumbled across your blog a very long time ago, I'm not even sure how...but I bookmarked it and I check it every so often to see how you are doing. I am glad to hear you are doing well!!! I don't know you personally, however, I keep you in my prayers. Stay strong!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi JJ,

This is such great news - reading that you're baking bread reminds me that I have been meaning to bring in some saffron to work for your mom to take to you (might be an interesting addition to bread - or not).

I love your book selection - I read Poisonwood Bible a few years ago - Kingsolver is one my favorite authors - if you haven't read her books of essays (High Tide in Tucson and another I can't recall the title), I think you'd like them. The soccer/globalization book sounds very interesting - I'm a huge World Cup fan and love observing the differences in ways different country's team approach the game.

Well - that's it - I was thrilled to see an entry again - I do check from time to time...

- Pat (a co-worker of your mom's)

Anonymous said...

jj, very glad to hear you are well.
take care, jess

Anonymous said...

Hi JJ. I am releived to read that you are doing well, I was worried after the last update and was checking your blog every two or three days searching for some better news. And so finally I got them and I am really happy for you and your Sara!
Natasha

Anonymous said...

Hi JJ,
You don't know me, but a friend of a friend introduced me to your blog last summer when my boyfriend, Matt, was diagnosed with leukemia. We arrived in Minneapolis this past weekend and he begins his transplant at U of M - Fairview on Monday. We've been keeping up with your blog since last summer and have both gotten a lot of inspiration from reading your words. We are so happy to read the good news about remission. Congratulations!!!!

Perhaps we'll see you around town (or the hospital) one of these days.

Ellen (and Matt)

Anonymous said...

J.J.: This is such great news! I'm so happy for you and for Sara. Thinking of you often. With all the love in my heart, Danny

JJ said...

Vitalia-
we would love to see you.
My home number is 612-345-5419
Love JJ