Saturday, July 01, 2006

ahhh, just sit there, is that so hard?

Why can't I sit (meditate)? I have considered my self Buddhist for years and yet I don't sit, I want to...I tell myself everyday that I am going to. I have a beautiful little corner set out for my meditation and prayers. A beautiful altar put together over many years. What is my block? Certainly I had excuses, while I was sick, but ironically, I practiced m,ore in the hospital than I have outside. What are my distractions here...external Sara, Tara (cat), TV (World Cup, Wimbledon, Movies), food, books on and on and on...Internal too many to go into here to private, perhaps, to share with the world. Why not now...b/c I took my sleeping pill and will soon be out. Need Discipline...how do you all do it? No lies. how often do you sit?what makes you get there? how can you help me get there?

I went to a Twins baseball game with my brothers tonight. It was awesome. They won of course 8-2, two homeruns back to back was the highlight. Another was see the Brewers manager get booted out of the game and get up in the face of the umpire. It was like a movie. I have never seen that before.

World Cup predictions: England pulls it together and defeats Portugal 2-1; Brasil handily defeats France 4-2. That's all from the Pitch.

Sara went to go see her Sister Elsa for a few days, so I am alone for the first time in a very long time. It hasn't quite hit me yet, but I am sure once I try to sleep I will just start bawling and end up crying myself to sleep. Just kidding I will miss her though...a little.

That's all for now,
JJ

PS Ellen and Matt I would love to meet with you. I have a clinic appt. on thursday at 11. Is Matt in the Hospital yet? Is he sick, contagious with anything? I am clean. and I could arrange to come earlier if you want. Anything I can do to help, just ask. my email is followthebreath@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi JJ -- Just checking out your blog again after some time. Ah, yes, the perennial problem about how to get ourselves to meditate. I actually rarely sit -- I'm too figgity. So I walk or, most often, do what I call "lying down meditation." I think it counts . . . It started a couple of winters ago when I just felt too tired to get up to sit or walk when that alarm would go off at 5:50. I try to watch my breath. It's hard cause I just think a lot. I finally got myself in the daily -- more or less -- habit of meditating by setting that alarm clock and doing it first thing in the morning vs after work or whenever. That definitely got me in the habit. Now if only I could do the same with yoga . . .
Anyway, hope that helps you. and maybe it's ok to not have a regular practice right now? Anyway, I'm so glad you are at home and can go to the Children's Museum and have some fun. Quite the impressive reading list too, I must say.
Leslie