Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Letter to a Friend

Dear Bruce,

A few weeks ago on October 12, I was fortunate enough to meet you. This is the dream, I believe, of millions and you were gracious enough to offer me some of your time.
I am not a lifetime fan of yours; in fact a few years ago, I was one of the millions who didn’t understand the meaning behind Born in the USA. Don’t worry the scales have fallen from my eyes.
I cannot tell you that I listened to Born to Run with windows down, cruising down some highway in the 1970’s. But, you have become immensely important to me over the last year, especially the last six months.
I was diagnosed with ALL (leukemia) in May of 2004 and I have been battling it ever since. I am not sure whether I am winning or losing, but I try to fight with dignity, compassion, and authenticity. Three adjectives that could also describe your career. For some reason, well I think I know why, your music touched me to the core. The way that you describe suffering, and the paths that folks take to end their suffering is incredibly astute. I have known physical suffering tremendously this past year and a half. With this physical pain came emotional and spiritual pain. To Live truly is to suffer. But, just as the Buddha also teaches us, you sing that lying down to this suffering is not the answer, neither is adding to the pain by hurting others. Though we both have and will continue to hurt people, we try…we try.
As I fight this cancer and experience this suffering, I am constantly urged on by your words and music. I am never alone with you on my radio.
When I met you, you gave me two incredible hugs that I will surely never forget. I felt as if you opened yourself up to me fully, took my pain in, washed it clean, and gave it back to me. And then you announced me has your friend during the concert and played Thunder Road, amazingly I might add.
It must be weird to know that something that you did remain another’s most precious moment, or their greatest experience in life. I don’t expect you to be my savior rising up from the streets, but you have become a teacher, a friend, and an inspiration to help me get through the rough and not so rough moments.
There is, of course, no way to truly expound my gratitude in words, so I give up and just use the easiest way I know of: THANK YOU!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and fearless. I love it! Thanks for sharing this piece, JJ. Love, Erica

Zoey L. said...

When a writer has a reason to write and an audience to reach, the resulting words are profound.

Anonymous said...

You just described how powerful Springsteen's writing and performing is.

I think it is additionally powerful in that I seem to recall him saying something at the beginning of this tour about NOT playing Thunder Road at all. That makes it an even more special event.

I wish you well in your struggles. You're very courageous.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful thank you note. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Much love to you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. . . this life is amazing and with a path it makes it that much more rich. Love to you, Beka

Anonymous said...

Dear JJ, Please keep posting on your blog, your words have been such an inspiration to me. Hearing from you has helped to bring a perspective to what matters and what is trivial in this world. I will continue to check your blog for new postings, anonymous but with you.

The Creator said...

jj - i am betting that you are as much of an inspiration to mr. springsteen as he was for you. i am grateful for your openness, too, through all of this. i'll be in crestone this weekend, offering my practice to you. your - bill

the IMAGINATIVE ACTION REGIME said...

oh jj,

thanks so much. my dad just went into his first stages of hospice care. i really enjoyed your letter to mr. springsteen. i have been a huge fan of his for a long time now and reading what you said about his music and the suffering is so spot on, but I've never really seen it exactly like that before.


thanks,

stace

Anonymous said...

Hi JJ and Sara - Todd and I really enjoyed meeting you guys up at Fairview ... what a terrible place to have to be, but at least there are bright spots, and you guys were one of them. Sorry we didn't get a chance to talk much this past week - Todd got pretty worn out the last fews days and we didn't leave the room much. I hope you get to go home soon, but if you're still there on the 5th (when we check back in), we'll try and stop by (if that's okay). Take care of yourselves!! Karen & Todd Andrews