Wednesday, September 07, 2005

10th BM biopsy

Hey kids,
Yesterday I had my tenth bone marrow biopsy. I think I already described this barbaric procedure on this blog before, so I will spare you the details here. Everything went fine and now we have an appointment at 10am with Dr. Hammerschmidt to go over the results and talk about options.
Best case scenario is the results are 0% and we can go right to transplant starting next monday. Worst case I still have some blasts (cancer) and we have to pursue other options of treatment. There really are only two choices. High Dose Ara-c, which could potentially cause long-term and even permanent CNS (central nervous system) problem, including not being able to walk. The second choice is an experimental drug that only one other person in the world has tried. He did it here and is now going through the transplant, but still one person, yikes!!
The third choice I guess is to throw in the towel and chill until the big freeze comes.
I will let you all know what the results are and what we intend on doing.

Love ya,
JJ
PS I do have a picture that Sara took during the procedure I will put it up later today.

No comments: