Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Bag of Tricks

Well, I got the results of my biopsy this morning. Unfortunately the results were not what I wanted. I was hoping for 0% or at least close to zero. The reality is that the last two treatments didn't seem to reduce the leukemia at all. They stopped from growing more but did not reduce it. So I am still around 17-18%

The good news is that they are nowhere near the bottom of their bag of tricks. So, Tomorrow I will be heading into the hospital again to recieve more treatment. The drug that I originally took was under a class of drugs called Antitumor Antibodies. They now believe that this class will no longer work on my highly aggressive leukemia. The drug will be adminstered in a High Dose form it is called Ara-C or cytarbine. It is classed under Antimetabolites. To give you all some idea of what High dose or HD means, the regular dose is 200 milligrams/m^2/day (the m stands for your body area). I will be getting 2g/m2 (that is ten times the normal dose) and I will be getting this twice a day....YIKES!!
Well, there it is the bare stinky reality. I will allow you to process this for awhile and then I will tell you how I deal with this sort of news.

Love ya,
JJ

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

JJ - Your fan club will be right there with you tomorrow - hoping those nasty, stubborn, rotten cancer cells just decide to start shriveling up with the new drug!! You are amazing, JJ. Lots of love to you!!

Linda Ricci

Anonymous said...

JJ, Just want to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you daily....as well as my love and admiration. I'm leaving on a trip for a few weeks....hate to leave your mom right now, but am trusting her to Linda Ricci and the rest of her support while I'm gone. I'm also praying that the bag of tricks has one great big super surprise in it for you. I won't be ablel to check the blog while gone, but you will never be far from my mind and heart. Love and virtual hugs to you. Jane Corey

Anonymous said...

It goes without saying, JJ that the Ceramics Gang is pulling for you. However, one of the best things we can do is to maintain our spirit and sense of humor. With that thought in mind, I'd like to provide all with a moment to be able to chuckle, this morning. JJ, your mom will get the biggest charge out of this one.

I am in the process of a MASSIVE renovation of my 1895 Victorian house in St Paul. One of the few signs that improvements are coming along is my BRAND NEW FRONT DOOR. The door was installed a few days ago, but the handle and deadbolt lock had needed some 'fine tuning'. That was completed yesterday.

When I went to unlock the door this morning, it wouldn't unlock. Brand new, and the D*** thing wouldn't work. No matter what I tried, the remained steadfasly in the locked position.

Certainly, nothing humorous here. Unless, of course, your mind short circuits and you make it humorous. That's all I needed.

A bit of background helps. I am a 'bleeding heart LIBERAL', and proud of it. My son, who is just 2 years your junior, JJ, is a 'moderate' conservative and live with me. It gave me GREAT pleasure to post the following notice on the door this morning:

"(arrow pointing LEFT) USE OTHER DOOR

This is a liberal door. Unfortunately, someone installed a conservative lock. The lock is not inclined to accept change and has adopted a "locked" position. As soon as the liberal door can sway the conservative lock to budge from that position, the liberal door WILL open.

Until that time, you will have to use the door to your LEFT.

Have a Great day.
Signed, The Liberal Door"

Hopefully, as my son leaves the house for work this am, reading it will put as big a smile on his face as it did on mine posting it.

Hugs to all and smile on your face when you think of my liberal door.

K

Zoey L. said...

Not good. Not good at all. What will this increased dose of meds do to your comfort level in the hospital? Will you feel more sick? About the same?

Looks like I was too late for a home visit. Maybe next weekend I can swing by the hospital? I'll try and get in touch with you before then.

Stay strong JJ.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh, JJ! These results are stinky indeed! I don't know exactly how you feel, but I know from my ordeals with Crohn's that it sucks to get results from biopsies back that are not what you wanted to hear.

Vitalia passed on your blog URL to me. I saw that you are reading Thich Nhat Hanh's 5 awarenesses, which I *love*. The other meditation of his I've found so helpful is in the three Earth touchings: "This body is not my body, I am not caught in this body."

You are sending out so much love throughout the cosmos, JJ. I am sending you lots of Metta.

Peace and love,
Erica